hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: Newbie user questions
Date Mon, 03 Mar 2008 04:00:10 GMT
Alex,

The HBase shell is meant only to be used for administrative purposes,
like managing tables. You can do limited CRUD operations, but they're
mostly there for the benefit of initial testing and tracking down
bugs. HQL is also not SQL, so you shouldn't anticipate there being
many SQL features.

In the Java, REST and Thrift APIs for HBase, there are two types of
accesses - single-row gets and multi-row scans. There are a lot of
options surrounding gets, so there's probably something that matches
your needs, but you have to know the row key to start with. Scans are
used whenever you need to operate on a number of rows. The cursor
model is indeed the closest analogy for a scanner.

If you need to do a join in the traditional sense, then yes, you need
to have at least two scanners and do the joining yourself. However,
if possible, you might want to consider denormalizing the data from
the two tables you'd be joining into a single table. I don't mean one
row per <table1,table2> tuple - HBase supports an arbitrary number of
columns per row, so if your second table is really a subordinate
entity, you might get some benefit from moving all to one table.

The return values for scanners are Java Maps containing your data
(assuming you're in the Java API). Does that answer your question?

-Bryan