hbase-user mailing list archives

From Bryan Duxbury <br...@rapleaf.com>
Subject Re: Backup / restore
Date Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:09:28 GMT
If an offline backup/restore is acceptable, then we already have it.
All you have to do is copy your hbase rootdir to a new location in
hdfs, and you've made a backup. You can also use this technique to
copy one instance to another - just boot up a master pointed at the
new directory and voila.

As far as dumping to a single file or a group of sql statements, that
seems like it would be a suboptimal way to manage the amount of data
you could potentially be working with. At the very least you want
many files. It also makes sense to keep them in their region
divisions, otherwise it will be an inordinate amount of work to
restore into HBase at a later date.

Does this answer your question?

-Bryan