hbase-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Thoralf Gutierrez (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Updated] (HBASE-18842) The hbase shell clone_snaphost command returns bad error message
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 08:59:00 GMT

     [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18842?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:all-tabpanel
]

Thoralf Gutierrez updated HBASE-18842:
--------------------------------------
    Attachment: 0003-HBASE-18842-Fix-unknown-namespace-message-in-clone_s.patch

Yes. Here is a patch with the added test (and a bonus test for the other handled exception
of clone_snapshot).

I tried to find the best place to put it as there doesn't seem to be other tests of the kind,
i.e. tests that test the commands from the point of view of the shell. (We have to take that
point of view if we want to catch the error that would be returned to the user and not the
error returned by the Java exception).

You will notice that the tests clean up after themselves but before as well. This is a bit
annoying but the only way I could get my tests to work without going to fix all of the other
tests that already exist by making sure they clean up after themselves too. I started doing
that but the commit was becoming ugly and difficult to cherrypick on older branches.

Tests pass locally on master and branch-1.4, I did not go further in the past.

> The hbase shell clone_snaphost command returns bad error message
> ----------------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: HBASE-18842
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18842
>             Project: HBase
>          Issue Type: Bug
>            Reporter: Thoralf Gutierrez
>            Assignee: Jesse Yates
>            Priority: Minor
>         Attachments: 0001-HBASE-18842-Fix-unknown-namespace-message-in-clone_s.patch,
0002-HBASE-18842-Fix-unknown-namespace-message-in-clone_s.patch, 0003-HBASE-18842-Fix-unknown-namespace-message-in-clone_s.patch
>
>
> When you call the hbase shell clone_snapshot command with a target namespace that doesn't
exist, you get an error message, but the variable used to identify the inexistent namespace
is wrong:
> {noformat}
> hbase(main):001:0> clone_snapshot 'someSnapshotName', 'someNamespaceName:someTableName'
> ERROR: Unknown namespace someSnapshotName!
> Create a new table by cloning the snapshot content.
> There're no copies of data involved.
> And writing on the newly created table will not influence the snapshot data.
> Examples:
>   hbase> clone_snapshot 'snapshotName', 'tableName'
>   hbase> clone_snapshot 'snapshotName', 'namespace:tableName'
> {noformat}
> It should rather say:
> {noformat}
> ERROR: Unknown namespace someNamespaceName!
> {noformat}



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.4.14#64029)

Mime
View raw message