hbase-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Hudson (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Commented] (HBASE-11433) LruBlockCache does not respect its configurable parameters
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2014 19:03:25 GMT

    [ https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11433?page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel&focusedCommentId=14047983#comment-14047983
] 

Hudson commented on HBASE-11433:
--------------------------------

FAILURE: Integrated in hbase-0.96 #405 (See [https://builds.apache.org/job/hbase-0.96/405/])
HBASE-11433 LruBlockCache does not respect its configurable parameters (stack: rev c3af2d25c85fbb17ca0d481f68f1549d23d60921)
* hbase-server/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/io/hfile/CacheConfig.java


> LruBlockCache does not respect its configurable parameters
> ----------------------------------------------------------
>
>                 Key: HBASE-11433
>                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11433
>             Project: HBase
>          Issue Type: Bug
>          Components: regionserver
>    Affects Versions: 0.96.2, 0.99.0, 0.98.3
>            Reporter: Shengzhe Yao
>            Assignee: Shengzhe Yao
>             Fix For: 0.99.0, 0.96.3, 0.98.4
>
>         Attachments: HBase_11433_v1.patch, HBase_11433_v1.patch
>
>
> We've upgraded our production cluster from 0.94.15 to 0.96.2 few days ago and observed
increased GC frequency and occasionally full GC (we never had full GC before with G1 GC),
which leads to famous juliet pause...
> After digging into several HBase metrics, we've found that block cache used much higher
memory in 0.96. It turns out due to patch: HBASE-6312, which not only make a few block cache
parameter configurable, but also change their default values! It is obvious that we need to
set these parameters back to the old value before considering reduce block cache size or tuning
our GC. However, we are surprised that there is no change in regionserver side and we are
still observing high block cache usage.
> At the end of the day, it seems in CacheConfig.java, we initialize LruBlockCache with
default constructor: LruBlockCache(long maxSize, long blockSize), which underlying always
use the default values. We think this is a bug and we should always use another constructor:
LruBlockCache(long maxSize, long blockSize, boolean evictionThread, Configuration conf) in
CacheConfig.java
> We made the change and tested on one of our servers, it works and now GC problem disappears.
Of course, we have to review our hbase and GC configurations and find the best configuration
under 0.96 for our application. But first, we feel the constructor misuse in CacheConfig.java
should be fixed.    
>   



--
This message was sent by Atlassian JIRA
(v6.2#6252)

Mime
View raw message