hbase-issues mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Lawrence Simpson (Created) (JIRA)" <j...@apache.org>
Subject [jira] [Created] (HBASE-5210) HFiles are missing from an incremental load
Date Mon, 16 Jan 2012 19:05:41 GMT
HFiles are missing from an incremental load
-------------------------------------------

                 Key: HBASE-5210
                 URL: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-5210
             Project: HBase
          Issue Type: Bug
          Components: mapreduce
    Affects Versions: 0.90.2
         Environment: HBase 0.90.2 with Hadoop-0.20.2 (with durable sync).  RHEL 2.6.18-164.15.1.el5.
 4 node cluster (1 master, 3 slaves)
            Reporter: Lawrence Simpson


We run an overnight map/reduce job that loads data from an external source and adds that data
to an existing HBase table.  The input files have been loaded into hdfs.  The map/reduce job
uses the HFileOutputFormat (and the TotalOrderPartitioner) to create HFiles which are subsequently
added to the HBase table.  On at least two separate occasions (that we know of), a range of
output would be missing for a given day.  The range of keys for the missing values corresponded
to those of a particular region.  This implied that a complete HFile somehow went missing
from the job.  Further investigation revealed the following:

 * Two different reducers (running in separate JVMs and thus separate class loaders)
 * in the same server can end up using the same file names for their
 * HFiles.  The scenario is as follows:
 * 	1.	Both reducers start near the same time.
 * 	2.	The first reducer reaches the point where it wants to write its first file.
 * 	3.	It uses the StoreFile class which contains a static Random object 
 * 		which is initialized by default using a timestamp.
 * 	4.	The file name is generated using the random number generator.
 * 	5.	The file name is checked against other existing files.
 * 	6.	The file is written into temporary files in a directory named
 * 		after the reducer attempt.
 * 	7.	The second reduce task reaches the same point, but its StoreClass
 * 		(which is now in the file system's cache) gets loaded within the
 * 		time resolution of the OS and thus initializes its Random()
 * 		object with the same seed as the first task.
 * 	8.	The second task also checks for an existing file with the name
 * 		generated by the random number generator and finds no conflict
 * 		because each task is writing files in its own temporary folder.
 * 	9.	The first task finishes and gets its temporary files committed
 * 		to the "real" folder specified for output of the HFiles.
 *     10.	The second task then reaches its own conclusion and commits its
 * 		files (moveTaskOutputs).  The released Hadoop code just overwrites
 * 		any files with the same name.  No warning messages or anything.
 * 		The first task's HFiles just go missing.
 * 
 *  Note:  The reducers here are NOT different attempts at the same 
 *  	reduce task.  They are different reduce tasks so data is
 *  	really lost.

I am currently testing a fix in which I have added code to the Hadoop 
FileOutputCommitter.moveTaskOutputs method to check for a conflict with
an existing file in the final output folder and to rename the HFile if
needed.  This may not be appropriate for all uses of FileOutputFormat.
So I have put this into a new class which is then used by a subclass of
HFileOutputFormat.  Subclassing of FileOutputCommitter itself was a bit 
more of a problem due to private declarations.

I don't know if my approach is the best fix for the problem.  If someone
more knowledgeable than myself deems that it is, I will be happy to share
what I have done and by that time I may have some information on the
results.

--
This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly, please contact your JIRA administrators: https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ContactAdministrators!default.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

        

Mime
View raw message