hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Somogyi <psomo...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] HBCK2 compatibility
Date Thu, 29 Aug 2019 12:12:17 GMT
Hi everyone,

This topic came up a couple of times already but now we reached a point
when the recent HBCK2 is incompatible with older HBase releases,
specifically 2.0.x, 2.1.0 and 2.1.1. When you build HBCK2 against one of
the previously mentioned releases you will get compilation errors. (mvn
clean install -DskipTests -Dhbase.version=2.0.6)

Our previous goal was to maintain compatibility with HBCK2 and all HBase 2
releases. Now we missed this target.

One option that we could do is to have different branches/releases of HBCK2
targeted for specific HBase releases (e.g. branch-2.0 version of HBCK2).
This probably makes the development on HBCK2 a bit harder since we'll have
to take care of multiple branches.

Another option I could think of is to always build HBCK2 with the latest
HBase release but have version checks on individual commands where we could
decide if it is supported on that release line.

What are your opinions on this?

Thanks,
Peter