hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Move to github flow (WAS subtopic of "Rough notes from dev meetup, day after hbaseconasia 2018, saturday morning")
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2018 16:00:29 GMT
On Mon, Aug 20, 2018, 22:09 Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:

> This came up at the recent devs meeting: could we move to github flow
> committing to Apache HBase? Do folks want this? If so, what would it take?
> What would it look like?
>
> The new gitbox repos at apache allow contribution back into apache via
> github tooling: PRs can be merged into apache repos with a click of a
> button, github-based comments can show as comments in apache JIRA. The new
> hbase-operator-tools and hbase-connector repos are gitbox based. We can run
> experiments there with fear of damage to the core.
>
> The justification is that if our project supported PRs and contribution via
> github, we could glean more contributors.
>
> Below I repeat two follow-on comments taken from the "Rough notes from dev
> meetup, day after hbaseconasia 2018, saturday morning" thread by way of a
> kickstart:
>
> From our Josh Elser:
>
> > This [supporting PRs] is something the PMC should take to heart. If we
> are excluding
> > contributions because of how we choose accept them, we're limiting our
> own
> > growth. Do we have technical reasons (e.g. PreCommit) which we cannot
> accept
> > PR's or is it just because "we do patches because we do patches"?
> >

> By our Sean:
>
> "I don't want to bog down this thread, but there are a ton of
> unanswered questions for allowing github PRs.
>
> "The biggest one for me is that JIRA is currently our best hope for an
> authoritative place for authorship information. If we're taking PRs
> from folks who have GitHub accounts but find ASF JIRA accounts too
> burdensome, what are we putting for the author in JIRA? Am I going to
> have to look in JIRA before a certain date and in Git after? Or in Git
> only if JIRA is set to some "HBase Contributor from GitHub" account?"
>
> Thanks,
> St.Ack

Hey folks,

This authorship bit might be coming up now. There's a PR for an existing
JIRA issue that I'd like to accept, but AFAICT the PR author doesn't have a
JIRA account.

I've asked them about it. If they don't have an account and don't want to
make one, I suppose I'll make a placeholder JIRA account and send the
details to the PMC, unless someone objects.

I'm not happy about the bifrucation of authorship information but I don't
see how forcing JIRA account creation could possibly be sustainable.