hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Branching for HBase 1.5 and Hadoop minimum version update (to 2.7)
Date Wed, 25 Apr 2018 03:37:30 GMT
Let's consider branching for HBase 1.5.

​The new feature justifying a minor increment is storage class aware
placement (HBASE-19858), and a required update in Hadoop minimum version.
It would be marked experimental. However, some of our Chinese colleagues
have been running equivalent changes in production for a couple of years
and all tests I've done with it look positive.

Hadoop hasn't released 2.6 or below in ages. In all recent discussions I
have found on their public lists, there are no plans to do so. They are
still releasing 2.7. Therefore, I think it fair to conclude the earliest
supported version of Hadoop by the Hadoop community is 2.7, and we can
adopt this position too. ​When putting together a 1.5.0 release I would
update documentation to reflect that the minimum supported Hadoop version
is now 2.7.0, and put a note to this effect in the release notes.

Are there any concerns?​

​Related, a nice to have for the new HBase 1.5 code line would be
successful compilation against Hadoop 2.9, 3.0 and 3.1.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands