hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Items to purge from branch-2 before we cut hbase-2.0.0-beta1.
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:55:41 GMT
On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Vladimir Rodionov <vladrodionov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> hbase-backup: Not done and it doesn't look like it will be done for
> beta-1.
> >>It can come in later in a 2.1 or 3.0 when it is finished.
>
> That is not correct. All blockers have been resolved, the last one has a
> patch which is ready to be commited.
>
> Salesforce team has conducted independent testing and found no issues with
> a functionality to my best knowledge.
>
> Explain please, Stack.

I've not done in-depth research so could be wrong about backup, but from my
perch, I've seen the recent filings against backup, HBASE-19104-19109,
which strike me as pretty basic missing facility. The new issues go without
comment (caveat a single question). I've seen no evidence of extensive test
(scale?). The last issue I looked at has backup putting up two system
tables with presumptions about assignment order we do not (as yet) support.
I've always had trouble eliciting state of the feature; summary of
capability and what is to do are hard to come by.

I'm trying to avoid rolling out features before they are baked. We've made
this mistake a good few times in the past (e.g. DLR).

Thanks,
St.Ack