hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Performance degradation in master (compared to 2-alpha-1)
Date Sat, 25 Nov 2017 05:22:13 GMT
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Eshcar Hillel <eshcar@oath.com.invalid>

> Happy Thanksgiving all,

And to you Eshcar.

> In recent benchmarks I ran in HBASE-18294 I discovered major performance
> degradation of master code w.r.t 2-alpha-1 code.I am running write-only
> workload (similar to the one reported in HBASE-16417). I am using the same
> hardware and same configuration settings (specifically, I testes both basic
> memstore compaction with optimal parameters, and no memsore
> compaction).While in 2-alpha-1 code I see throughput of ~110Kops for basic
> compaction and ~80Kops for no compaction, in the master code I get only
> 60Kops and 55Kops, respectively. *This is almost 50% reduction in
> performance*.
> (1) Did anyone else noticed such degradation?(2) Do we have any systematic
> automatic/semi-automatic method to track the sources of this performance
> issue?
> Thanks,Eshcar

On #1, no. I've not done perf compare. I wonder if later alpha versions
include the regression (I'll have to check and see).

On #2, again no. I intend to do a bit of perf tuning and compare before

If you don't file an issue, I will do so later for myself as a task to
compare at least to alpha-1.

Thanks Eshcar,