hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Items to purge from branch-2 before we cut hbase-2.0.0-beta1.
Date Wed, 01 Nov 2017 18:53:18 GMT

On 11/1/17 1:32 PM, Stack wrote:
> I want to purge the below list of modules, features, and abandoned code
> from branch-2 before we make a beta-1 (4-5 weeks I'm thinking). Lets
> discuss. Some are already scheduled for removal but listing anyways for
> completeness sake. Pushback or other suggestions on what else we should
> remove are welcome.
>
> Distributed Log Replay: Just last week, I heard of someone scheduling
> testing of DLR. We need to better message that this never worked and was/is
> not supported. It's a good idea that we should implement but built on a
> different chasis (procedurev2?). Meantime, DLR is still scattered about the
> codebase as an optional code path. Lets remove it.
>
> hbase-native-client: It is not done and won't be for 2.0.0. It can come in
> later when it is done (2.1 or 3.0).

I think that's fine. It's in a state where people can use it to do basic
read-write operations. While it would be nice to have this go out to
folks who would test it, forcing that to happen via inclusion in a
release isn't necessary.

> hbase-prefix-tree: A visionary effort that unfortunately has had no uptake
> since its original wizard-author moved on. I don't believe it is used
> anywhere. It has become a drag as global changes need to be applied in here
> too by folks who are not up on how it works probably doing damage along the
> way. This is like DLR in it should be first class but we've not done the
> work to keep it up.
>
> hbase-backup: Not done and it doesn't look like it will be done for beta-1.
> It can come in later in a 2.1 or 3.0 when it is finished.

Ditto to what Vlad said. AFAIK, just the one issue remains: HBASE-17852.
Didn't want to bother you with it while you were head-down on alpha4,
Stack; can you take a look at the explanation Vlad has put up there so
we can try to move it forward? I don't think this needs to be punted out.

> hbase-spark: Purging this makes me tear-up.

We had a talk about this a while back, didn't we? I forget if we had
consensus about having it follow its own release schedule (rather than
tying it to HBase "internals") -- I think I suggested that anyways :P.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if that's actually the proper
route forward for hbase-native-client too...