hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Struggles around Cell#getType()
Date Thu, 26 Oct 2017 22:40:09 GMT
Hiya,

(Background: see HBASE-19002)

In trying to write some example Observers, I found myself in a pickle:
how do I tell if a Cell is a Put?

* Cell#getType() returns a byte which corresponds to a KeyValue.Type
* KeyValue.Type has API to convert a byte to Type
* KeyValue (and thus KeyValue.Type) is IA.Private
* DataType o.a.h.h.typesDataType _appears to me_ to be the replacement
for the KeyValue.Type

Best as I can tell, Cell#getType() should be deprecated and we should
have some kind of API (method on Cell or CellUtil) which returns a
DataType instead of Type. The details of the byte and the KeyValue.Type
should be hidden inside the implementation.

My hunch is that this is an accidental omission, but Stack recommended
that I "ask the class" ;). What have I missed? I think this is trivial
to fix; obviously, I don't want to make a fix if I just didn't look hard
enough.

Thanks!

- Josh