hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] What we expect in upgrades to HBase 2.0.0
Date Sat, 28 Oct 2017 03:40:20 GMT
A recent JIRA about our hfile format[1] has got me thinking about
expectations for upgrading. The specifics of that JIRA aren't terribly
important; it's the general issue I want to talk about. A
simplification of the mismatch in expectations between two groups is
that some folks place the bar for "we support rolling upgrade" at
rolling upgrade from 1.y.z* versions generally and others are
comfortable requiring an initial upgrade to some later 1.y.z version
first.

Have we documented what our goals are for upgrades this major release?
Do we know what we have to do to get there? I've seen a few one-off
JIRAs to fix particular problems, but not really a plan.

We should discuss here a bit.

When things have some consensus is anyone willing to take point on
writing up the results in a scope document of sorts? I have a few good
examples to point you to, though they're all for features.

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-19052