hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] options for precommit test reliability?
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2017 14:48:54 GMT
Addressing your individual suggestions inline.

Another one that you missed (more long term) is splitting up the server
module into smaller modules. We have some work on this already (backup,
mapreduce) but it's a long way to go...

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:38 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi folks!
>
> Lately our precommit runs have had a large amount of noise around unit
> test failures due to timeout, especially for the hbase-server module.
>
> I'd really like to get us back to a place where a precommit -1 doesn't
> just result in a reflexive "precommit is unreliable."
>
> When the hbase-server module is going to be run (which would include
> changes to that module and changes to the top-level of the project), I
> can think of a few ways to bring the noise down:
>
> * Do fewer parallel executions. We do 5 tests at once now and the
> hbase-server module takes ~1.5 hours. We could tune down just the
> hbase-server module to do fewer.

1.5 hours is already past the threshold where I have to go do something
else while I wait for the tests to finish. Putting this up to 3 hours
wouldn't affect my productivity, I don't think.

> * Do more test re-runs. We could have tests that fail retry more. I
> think maybe we allow a single retry currently via surefire. We'd have
> to do it outside of surefire to account for the large number of
> time-out failures.

I like the idea of more retries, but I don't like going outside of
surefire. I don't want us maintaining more custom hacks and shims in place
for something that should be temporary - once we get the tests stabilized
we shouldn't need it, right?

> * Don't run the hbase-server module tests (or just run those tests
> that expressly changed in the patch). Instead, we'd include a warning
> to the committer that they need to test this particular module
> independently. We could also add a committer-initiated jenkins job
> that runs the tests for just hbase-server.

I'm optimistic about human nature, but I think this means that the tests
just wouldn't get run.