hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Branch 1.4 update
Date Wed, 04 Oct 2017 23:51:32 GMT
> What ever happened to the issue that was keeping 1.3 from becoming the
stable release line? That still outstanding for 1.4 too?

Yes.

Let me provide some context.

The root issue was fallout from a locking change introduced just prior to
release of 1.3. That change was HBASE-13082. Lars H proposed a change. It
was committed to trunk but quickly reverted. After the revert Lars decided
to drop the work rather than fix it for reapplication. However, the work
was picked up by others and eventually found its way into branch-1, then
branch-1.3, then 1.3.x releases. There were unintended side effects,
causing bugs. The umbrella issue HBASE-18397 tracks a bunch of fix work the
community has done since. The last known bug fix was HBASE-18771, found and
fixed by our Abhishek. The last known change I know of was work I did on
HBASE-18786 to remove some dodgy exception handling (prefer aborts to
silent data corruption). Is this enough to move the stable pointer?
According to our testing at Salesforce, yes, so far. We have yet to run in
full production. Give us a few months of that and my answer will be
unconditional one way or another. According to some offline conversation
with Mikhail and Gary, the answer is in fact no, they still have one hairy
use case causing occasional problems that look like more of this, but that
feedback predates HBASE-18771.

--
Best regards,
Andrew