hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Struggles around Cell#getType()
Date Fri, 27 Oct 2017 16:58:23 GMT
Re-reading https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8693 that Sergey
pointed out, I more think that the maybe getType() was misintepreted
from what Nick originally meant it to be. Maybe intentional, maybe not.

I don't think getTimestamp() should be removed -- when we store multiple
versions of a Key, users should be able to reconcile the Cells client
side (e.g. consider a CP which performs some custom merging logic).

getSequenceId() I'd agree probably doesn't belong. getTag() I'll hold
off judgement because I'm constantly biased into thinking the feature is
something that it isn't :)

You agree with Ram's suggestion for helper methods as a way forward?

On 10/27/17 7:29 AM, Chia-Ping Tsai wrote:
> The CellBuilder#Data type is introduced to make sure all components used to builder cell
are IA.Public.

> bq. Best as I can tell, Cell#getType() should be deprecated
> As i see it, the Cell#getType, #getTimestamp, #getSequenceId, and #getTag should be deprecated
as these methods is some kind of internal info of storage engine. As a key-value store, the
key  consisting of row, family, and qualifier is enough to the general purpose. Other fields
belong to the specific storage engine, and they should not be in the Cell which is our "frontline"
interface of data.