hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Increase stability on o.a.h.h.Tag?
Date Fri, 22 Sep 2017 17:46:39 GMT
Maybe my expectations are just invalid to start :)

I'm thinking about the cell-level visibility feature specifically. I'm
happy to back away from this point as I'm getting the impression that
I'm trying to call an apple an orange.

Let me take an action to read what currently does exist and come back
later. I also need to look more closely at how YARN is using the Tags
now to understand if they way they're using the feature is inappropriate
out of the gates.

On 9/22/17 12:11 PM, Andrew Purtell wrote:
> Tags are server side internal metadata. Some carry sensitive information like labels.
I guess this could appear odd if not around for discussion when they were introduced. So what
documentation can be improved to lessen the surprise? Javadoc? Online book? A JIRA with suggestions
welcome.

>> On Sep 22, 2017, at 9:07 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> I can appreciate how we've gotten to this point, it just struck me extremely odd
that the contents of a Tag weren't expected to be accessed by users. "Arbitrary metadata that
rides along with a cell, you just can't see that metadata" ;)

>> I totally understand not wanting to let another thing come into 2.0. Like MikeD said,
let's hope for a faster 3.0 and we can slate this for that time.

>> Thanks for entertaining the discussion. We'll just deal with the "downstream pain"
for 2.0.

>>> On 9/22/17 1:32 AM, ramkrishna vasudevan wrote:
>>> CellUtil  similar type of methods. Coming to Tags yes there are not much
>>> cases where clients can directly set Tags. And I think we don't expose any
>>> APIs which allow you to use mutations with Tags. So probably moving to
>>> LimitedPrivate is better and mark with Evolving if there are some users
>>> depending on the internals of Tags and its impl. But this will be a One of
>>> case.
>>> And also since Tags are internal ideally the CellUtil#getTAgs() should have
>>> been in another Util method that is exposed with LimitedPrivate and also
>>> Tags if tags should be made LimitedPRivate. So this may help in not having
>>> a PRivate interface like Tag in a public CellUtil class.
>>> 3.0 is fine but need some clean up in 2.0? Indicating what could happen
>>> going forward from 2.0?
>>> Regards
>>> Ram

APIs.