hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Misty Stanley-Jones <mi...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Becoming a Committer
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 20:41:31 GMT
I feel like I inject this note into all discussions like this, but I'm
going to do it again. "Act like a committer" does not ONLY mean to produce
code for HBase. It means to support the project. This may mean any of the
following, plus a long list of other things I'm sure I'm not thinking of
right now:

- Contribute to the docs (yay!)
- Help fix and improve testing
- Participate in release candidate votes, even if non-binding
- Review other people's work
- Help newbies
- Answer questions
- Update the website
- File issues
- Mentor new contributors of all sorts
- Give talks about HBase
- Write blogs about HBase
- Participate in design discussions
- Provide UX feedback
- Write demo applications
- Help us attract and retain a diverse community
- Interact with other projects in ways that benefit HBase and those other
projects

I would personally consider all of these bullet points to be super
significant in "act like a committer" type discussions. I think that
contributing code is only one aspect. For some reason it seems to be the
most appealing aspect to lots of people, but IMHO that makes for a poor
community experience.