hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] 2.0 time to remove table owners?
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2017 15:27:45 GMT
It would be a major functional change. Someone might be relying on the
table ownership semantic. However, 2.0 would be the next opportunity to
introduce a change of this type before 3.0.

I don't think we need table owners. It is a shortcut in the permissions
model which is good for usability but bad for adding complexity. Removing
the shortcut would make it more likely we'd see odd situations like where a
user can create a table but surprisingly lack other permissions, but that
would be a consequence of mismanagement of grants by cluster admins, not a
bug or functional gap introduced by removing table ownership.

--
Best regards,
Andrew

decrepit hands