hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Increase stability on o.a.h.h.Tag?
Date Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:03:26 GMT
Hiya,

(Background, I'm starting what is likely to be an onerous task of
looking through downstream components and seeing what is broken with the
latest hbase-2.0.0*)

Looking at YARN's use of HBase for the Application TimelineServer, I see
that they're relying on the Tag interface.

Presently, Tag is marked as Private, yet we expose it via the Public
CellUtil.

My gut reaction is that we should bump Tag up Public since the intent is
for downstream users to, ya know, use those Tags. Any objections?

If we don't want to expose Tag, we should make a pass over the Public
methods and mark them as Private (so not as to provide a Public method
with Private objects). CellUtil#getTag(Cell, byte) would be one such
example.

- Josh