hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Moving 2.0 forward
Date Mon, 14 Aug 2017 17:54:32 GMT
Heads-up:

I'm about to put up an hbase-2.0.0-alpha2 Release Candidate. Theme is
updated dependencies, reliance on relocated popular libs (guava, netty,
protobuf), purge of checked-in generated src, and master-carries-no-regions
by default.

alpha3 I hope will follow soon after (end-of-August?). Its theme will be
settling the APIs and compatibility (At first blush, we are not looking too
bad; our Sean ran some tests over weekend that have hbase-1 client running
against an hbase-2 cluster....). The Coprocessor Interface revamp should be
done by alpha3 (i.e. returning Interfaces rather than Implementations, and
our shutdown of CPs accessing classes in hbase marked InterfaceAudience).
We'll also have purged thirdparty classes from our API; e.g. guava 0.12
Service showing through in our replication API and protobufs in Admin
Interface. On alpha3, we will have to do a bunch of outreach to make sure
our downstreamers are up on what is coming down the pipe.

Beta1 in mid-September?

I encourage you to check out the items marked for hbase2:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/projects/HBASE/versions/12327188 Edit as you
see appropriate. Punt if you know the JIRA will not get any attention in
next month or so.

A bunch of issues marked blocker are unassigned. I'll leave them as is
another while but I'll boot them soon.

While I have your attention:

+ I think we should leave thrift version at 0.9.3. Moving hbase thrift to
0.10.0 will break existing clients. The change is easy enough if folks need
to upgrade their hbase thrift. See HBASE-18591.
+ Upgrade from 0.94 is disallowed. You have to get to 1.0 first (0.98?).

St.Ack

>>> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9i