hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove HTrace 3.2.0-incubating from HBase
Date Tue, 15 Aug 2017 21:28:31 GMT
On Tue, Aug 15, 2017 at 12:38 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
wrote:

> Doc update to indicate HTrace is unfinished is fine.

We could do this. Update jar and doc it as broke.

> Phoenix uses HTrace to support query tracing. It "works".

Nit: I didn't think this was htrace. It was an old version pulled into
phoenix world where it lives storing to phoenix table reporting on
phoenix-only spans.

> A colleague made
> a contribution to HDFS to fix a case where spans could get muddied around
> the WAL. We are carrying that patch on top of 2.7 for the moment but IIRC
> it's in 2.8.
>
> Removing all of our HBase level spans doesn't make sense to me when spans
> at HDFS level will not be removed, nor at the Phoenix level.

The spans in hbase are just hanging until they get the htrace-4 revamp and
the dots get connected.

> We hollow out
> the middle. I think this is worse than leaving things at a half finished
> state. At least in the half finished state it might get finished.

Nod.

> What are the most pressing issues? I'm up for supporting an "HTrace" get
> well. I'll need your (community) help for getting patches into Hadoop if
> need be.

HTrace needs care and a viewer (zipkin I think now it has come back alive).

HBase needs a couple of narratives wired through.

Ditto HDFS.

St.Ack