hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] hbase-2.0.0 compatibility expectations
Date Thu, 03 Aug 2017 01:34:42 GMT
On Wed, Aug 2, 2017 at 5:25 PM, Zach York <zyork.contribution@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Do we know what the major pain points for migration are? Can we discuss
> that/get a list going?

Here's a few in outline:

+ There is issue of formats, of hbase-2.x being able to read hbase-1.x data
whether from HDFS or ZooKeeper or off the wire.
+ An hbase-1.x client should be able to Get/Put and Scan an hbase-2.x
cluster; no holes in the API or unintelligible serializations.
+ There is then the little dance that has us rolling restart from an
hbase-1.x cluster to hbase-2.x; i.e. upgrade master first and then it will
assign regions to the new hbase-2.x regionservers as they come on line. TBD.

Is this what you mean sir?