hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Amit Patel <amit.pa...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Merging Hybrid Logical Clocks with Master
Date Mon, 21 Aug 2017 20:29:39 GMT
Hi everyone,

I’d like to begin the discussion of merging the current HLC work with
master. Note that the current work is not ready to merge yet since there
are a few remaining issues (see below). For reference, HBASE-14070
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14070> proposes using hybrid
logical clocks, which combine both logical and physical clocks to capture
not only causality relationship between events, but also physical time at
which events occur. HLC can be enabled on a per-table basis and at the
moment just the meta table has HLC enabled by default (the other tables
default to use the system clock). An initial design document created by
Enis Soztutar can be found here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LL2GAodiYi0waBz5ODGL4LDT4e_bXy8P9h6kWC05Bhw/edit#>.
The more recent status document created by Sai Teja Ranuva can be found here
<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1n32DUKoL3LSoKQ1_NuF8TbQkZiZCwFhbHZ7JXRjg3oA/edit#heading=h.881hwl2sdbvx>.

Changes

The new classes that would be introduced include: a Clock interface with
three clock implementations mentioned above and enums for the clock and
timestamp type.  The three clock implementations are hybrid logical, system
monotonic, and system clocks and each generate 64-bit timestamps.
Timestamps from the system monotonic and system clock represent physical
time and are directly backwards compatible.

Users can set the clock type of a table during table creation. A table’s
clock type cannot be changed after the table has been created. For tables
whose clock type is HLC, users would not be permitted to set their own
timestamps for mutations. Certain events such as region assignment,
unassignment, and recovery update the clocks upon receiving timestamps
externally.

Benefits

   -

   Hybrid logical clocks (and even system monotonic clocks) can solve a
   variety of long standing issues related to time highlighted here
   <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1LL2GAodiYi0waBz5ODGL4LDT4e_bXy8P9h6kWC05Bhw/edit#heading=h.msabldfs8oly>.

   -

   Future work with hybrid logical clocks would include enabling them with
   user tables. Ideally we would want HLC to be used everywhere. Further work
   such as global point-in-time snapshots can leverage HLC

Remaining issues

There are still a few remaining issues to close out before actually
merging, but I wanted to at least start the discussion. Currently I am
working on fixing remaining tests that are either failing or timing out in
the public branch <https://builds.apache.org/job/HBASE-14070.HLC/> as well
as doing local performance tests, and cluster tests. Some of the remaining
issues we are tracking are:

   -

   HBASE-18542 (Perf numbers)
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18542>
   -

   HBASE-18508 (Fixing unit tests)
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18508>
   -

   HBASE-18432 (Clock skew)
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18432>

Some brainstorming/discussions we also are tracking:

   -

   (HBASE-18643) Adding transaction id to Result
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18643>
   -

   (HBASE-18642) Deprecate setting of timestamp in client for HLC
   <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-18642>