hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: NOTICE: I just created branch-2, the branch from where we'll cut hbase-2.0.0
Date Wed, 07 Jun 2017 15:09:46 GMT
On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:07 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 7, 2017 at 10:04 AM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>> On 6/7/17 1:17 AM, Stack wrote:
>>>

>>> I just set the version on master branch to be 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT.
>>

>> I was just thinking about this one this morning: would master become 2.1.0
>> or 3.0.0?
>>
>> I'd guess that the intent is to put more emphasis on the "x" instead of the
>> "y" and "z" (for a version string "x.y.z")? We all on board with that plan
>> too, for better or for worse? :)
>
> yeah, this is the same bit we did when branch-1 was created off of
> master last major release. We need a place to put the breaking stuff.
>
> Hopefully we can exercise a more planned out approach to how long
> master waits for the next branch-x.

Thinking about this more, did we document the branching strategy anywhere?

Like, this is what I expect is going to happen, but it occurs to me
that I can't point at why:

* branch-2 made off of master
* alpha/beta releases tagged off of branch-2
* branch-2.0 made off of branch-2
* 2.0.0 GA release tagged off of branch-2.0
* Follow on minor releases branch-2.y off of branch-2