hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Drob <md...@apache.org>
Subject Fwd: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7 deprecation)
Date Tue, 27 Jun 2017 14:49:01 GMT
Gavin of the infra team just sent this missive over.

It looks like JDK 7 will no longer be available. Do we need to do anything
this affect our branch-1, or are we sufficiently confident that JDK8 with
compatibility mode targeting 1.7 will be enough for our needs?

Mike

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Gavin McDonald <gavin@16degrees.com.au>
Date: Tue, Jun 27, 2017 at 2:03 AM
Subject: [JENKINS] [IMPORTANT] - Jenkins Migration and Upgrade (And JDK7
deprecation)
To: builds@apache.org
Cc: ASF Operations <operations@apache.org>

ASF Jenkins Master Migration and Upgrade on :-

Location                                                Local Time
                                    Time Zone       UTC Offset
Melbourne (Australia - Victoria)        Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 10:00:00
am     AEST            UTC+10 hours
New York (USA - New York)               Saturday, 15 July 2017 at 8:00:00
pm    EDT                     UTC-4 hours
Corresponding UTC (GMT)         Sunday, 16 July 2017 at 00:00:00

Hi All,

A few things are going to happen in just over 2 weeks.

1. Migration of Jenkins to a new host. A Jenkins Master module and yaml
have been puppetized and ready to go.
    What we need to do to migrate the Master away from its current host is
turn off the old service. Perform a final
    rsync of data and perform the migration tasks.

    As we intend to preserve history for jobs this will take some time.
    At the same time as doing this migration to a new host, all slave
connections will be updated (see below.)
    I have no current estimate of downtime, but it will run into several
hours. We do plan to run this migration on a
    Sunday at the lowest part of Jenkins usual usage.

2. Upgrade of Jenkins - Jenkins project released a new LTS release, version
2.60.1. This is a major release and breaks
    Jenkins in terms of Maven jobs for JDK 7 in the same way that it
happened for Maven and JDK 6 a few months back.

    The infra team (mainly myself) got quite some feedback on not supplying
advance notice of this breakage. That upgrade
    however was necessary due to security fixes that required our upgrade.
This email serves as advance warning of the
    upcoming upgrade of Jenkins, the downtime due to the migration of the
service to a new host; and notice of the breakage
    to JDK 7 that the upgrade brings.

    Please familiarise yourself with the Jenkins LTS upgrade notes at [1].
    In particular please note:-

    “…2.60.1 is the first Jenkins LTS release that requires Java 8 to run.
If you're using the Maven Project type, please note that it needs to use a
JDK capable of running Jenkins, i.e. JDK 8 or up. If you configure an older
JDK in a Maven Project, Jenkins will attempt to find a newer JDK and use
that automatically. If your SSH Slaves fail to start and you have the
plugin install the JRE to run them, make sure to update SSH Slaves Plugin
to at least version 1.17 (1.20 recommended).
Changes since 2.60:
Fix for NullPointerException while initiating some SSH connections
(regression in 2.59). (issue 44120 <https://issues.jenkins-ci.
org/browse/JENKINS-44120>)
Notable changes since 2.46.3:
Jenkins (master and agents) now requires Java 8 to run. (issue 27624 <
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-27624> <>, issue 42709 <
https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-42709> <>, pull 2802 <
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jenkins/pull/2802>, announcement blog post <
https://jenkins.io/blog/2017/04/10/jenkins-has-upgraded-to-java-8/>)

…”

There are over 30 other enhancements/fixes since 2.46.2 which we currently
run so please do take a note of those.

Recap: In just over 2 weeks, downtime for a migration AND upgrade is
planned.

Please do not rely on Jenkins at all for that weekend if you use it in your
release workflow.

Please do take this notice back to your dev lists.

Any questions or concerns please email back to builds@apache.org <mailto:
builds@apache.org> only.

Thanks

Gav…