hbase-dev mailing list archives

From 杨苏立 Yang Su Li <yangs...@gmail.com>
Subject hbase does not seem to handle mixed workloads well
Date Sat, 01 Apr 2017 02:29:23 GMT
Hi,

We found that when there is a mix of CPU-intensive and I/O intensive
workload, HBase seems to slow everything down to the disk throughput level.

This is shown in the performance graph at
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~suli/blocking-orig.pdf : both client-1 and
client-2 are issuing 1KB Gets. From second 0 , both repeatedly access a
small set of data that is cachable and both get high throughput (~45k
ops/s). At second 60, client-1 switch to an I/O intensive workload and
begins to randomly access a large set of data (does not fit in cache).
*Both* client-1 and client-2's throughput drops to ~0.5K ops/s.

Is this acceptable behavior for HBase or is it considered a bug or
performance drawback?
I can find an old JIRA entry about similar problems (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-8836), but that was never
resolved.

Thanks.

Suli