hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] updating docs on Apache Hadoop versions for recent upstream releases.
Date Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:26:19 GMT
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Josh Elser <elserj@apache.org> wrote:

> Sean Busbey wrote:
>>
>> We should also call out the 3.0.0 pre-GA releases, now that there are
>> two alpha releases.
>

> What kind of context are you thinking about here? "3.0.0-alpha is for
> adventurous users"? "Avoid 3.0.0-alpha"?

I guess the "Not Tested (NT)" status is how we usually indicate "we
don't know of any problems but we don't have affirmative testing in
place" and "Not Supported (X)" is how we say avoid.

Right now the table covers through HBase 2.0. Here at Cloudera we're
doing internal testing of close-to-current master against what is
essentially the Hadoop 3 alpha releases, but it's not the exact
artifacts and we're a ways from something I have confidence in. I'd
like to label the alphas as NT for now on 2.0. I'd also like to make
being able to say "supported" on either a Hadoop 3 beta or a Hadoop 3
GA a priority for HBase 2.0. This might be sliding into a discussion
we need to have about HBase 2.0 version naming (i.e. if we're doing
alpha/beta releases or trying to do 1.99 like we did in the run up to
1.0).

For HBase 1.y versions I'd be pretty surprised if running on the
Hadoop 3 alphas worked, so I'd rather tell downstream folks to avoid
by giving it an X.