hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ashu Pachauri <ashu210...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: A suggestion for releasing major versions faster (Was: NOTICE: Nice testimony on benefits of the offheap read-path work now up on our blog)
Date Thu, 09 Mar 2017 19:53:50 GMT
In my opinion, a major release is based on two simultaneous decisions:

1. Is it time; may be a year is a good time frame? (It's useless
accumulating too much code that is not battle tested and then expect people
to deploy it to production without experiencing a plethora of issues.)

2. Is there at least one "major feature" that is complete ?

I think if we can answer yes to both these questions at any point in time,
it's a good idea to cut the RC and ask people to start testing it.

the only way forward for saving 2.0 at this point is to *make the branch and
> spin the RC

+1

--
Thanks and Regards,