hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Upgrading core dependencies
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2017 02:50:55 GMT
For the client: I'm a fan of shaded client modules by default and
minimizing the exposure of that surface area of 3rd party libs (none, if
possible). For example, Elastic Search has a similar set of challenges, the
solve it by advocating users shade from step 1. It's addressed first thing
in the docs for their client libs. We could take it a step further by
making the shaded client the default client (o.a.hbase:hbase-client)
artifact and internally consume an hbase-client-unshaded. Turns the whole
thing on it's head in a way that's better for the naive user.

For MR/Spark/etc connectors: We're probably stuck as it is until necessary
classes can be extracted from hbase-server. I haven't looked into this
lately, so I hesitate to give a prescription.

For coprocessors: They forfeit their right to 3rd party library dependency
stability by entering our process space. Maybe in 3.0 or 4.0 we can rebuild
on jigsaw or OSGi, but for today I think the best we should do is provide
relatively stable internal APIs. I also find it unlikely that we'd want to
spend loads of cycles optimizing for this usecase. There's other, bigger
fish, IMHO.

For size/compile time: I think these ultimately matter less than user
experience. Let's find a solution that sucks less for downstreamers and
work backward on reducing bloat.

On the point of leaning heavily on Guava: their pace is traditionally too
fast for us to expose in any public API. Maybe that's changing, in which
case we could reconsider for 3.0. Better to start using the new API's
available in Java 8...

Thanks for taking this up, Stack.
-n