hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Upgrading core dependencies
Date Thu, 09 Feb 2017 02:14:02 GMT
On Wed, Feb 8, 2017 at 10:24 AM Jerry He <jerryjch@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah.  Talking about the dependency, the hbase-spark module already has
> dependency on hbase-server (coming from the spark bulk load producing
> hfiles).
> This is not very good. We have to be careful not entangling it more.
> Also, there is already problem running the hbase-spark due to dependency
> conflict, and one has to be careful about the order of the classpath to
> make it work.

We own the hbase-spark module, do we not? In that case, we control our own
destiny. An explicit goal of this effort would be to make use of that
module agnostic to classpath load order. As per my earlier reply,
hbase-spark could itself be an artifact shaded over hbase-server and all of
its dependencies. That way the user doesn't need to think about it at all.

It further seems to me that the maven-shade-plugin could gain a new analyze
goal, similar to the that of the dependency-plugin, which would audit the
classes packaged in a jar vs the contract defined in configuration. This
could further be used to fail the build of there's any warnings reported.
I've found myself wanting this very functionality as I consume ES and
Phoenix, shaded in downstream projects.