hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Moving 2.0 forward
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2017 07:25:24 GMT
On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Stephen Jiang <syuanjiangdev@gmail.com>

> Hello, Andrew, I was a helper on Matteo so that we can help each other
> while we are focusing on the new Assignment Manager work.  Now he is not
> available (at least in the next few months).  I have to be more focused on
> the new AM work; plus other work in my company; it would be too much for me
> to 2.0 RM alone.  I am happy someone would help to take primary 2.0 RM role
> while I am still help to make this 2.0 release smooth.
(I could help out Stephen. We could co-RM?)

> For branch-2, I think it is too early to cut it, as we still have a lot of
> moving parts and on-going project that needs to be part of 2.0.  For
> example, the mentioned new AM (and other projects, such as HBASE-14414,
> HBASE-15179, HBASE-14070, HBASE-14850, HBASE-16833, HBASE-15531, just name
> a few).  Cutting branch now would add burden to complete those projects.
Agree with Stephen. A bunch of stuff is half-baked so a '2.0.0' now would
be all loose ends and it'd make for a messy narrative.

I started a doc listing state of 2.0.0:

In the doc I made an estimate of what the community considers core 2.0.0
items based in part off old lists and after survey of current state of
JIRA. The doc is open for comment. Please chime in if I am off or if I am
missing something that should be included. I also make a rough estimate on
state of each core item.

I intend to keep up this macro-view doc as we progress on 2.0.0 with
reflection where pertinent in JIRA . Suggest we branch only when code
compete on the core set most of which are complete or near-so.
End-of-February should be time enough (First 2.0.0 RC in at the start of