hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Moving 2.0 forward
Date Sun, 15 Jan 2017 00:00:35 GMT
On Sat, Jan 14, 2017 at 11:10 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
wrote:

> Thanks for putting that document together Stack, that was really helpful.
>
> > 1.1 New Assignment Manager, AMv2
>
> ​Can we get a virtual show of hands who is working on this and plans to
> finish it? It was Stephen and Matteo originally, right? Matteo seems
> temporarily sidelined, is that correct?

Stephen and I have this as our priority. It is about 90% code complete with
some big patches just about to land. Will need a mountain of testing
thereafter.

Yeah, our mighty Matteo, the mastermind, is no longer actively working on
the project (I think!).

> > 1.3 Offheaping of Write Path
> ​> ​
> 1.4 HBASE-11425 Offheaping of Read Path
> ​> ​
> 1.6 HBASE-15265 AsyncWAL/HBase DFSClient
> ​
> ​Maybe we can organize some efforts to test small deploys of 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
> with these features​ enabled since they are code complete but need testing
> and more doc, which can be generated from notes from testers on setup and
> experience. I can stand up a few clusterdock-based virtual clusters on EC2
> D2-class instances running integration tests, PE, and YCSB etc; surface
> issues up into JIRA; and provide SSH access on demand. Let me see ... not
> sure if 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT is stable enough to get that far. If so hopefully
> the developers behind these features will be willing to jump on them and
> lead debugging/fix if issues are found.

This sounds good. For offheaping, we're talking about it being the default
for 2.0.0 so could do with a bit of testing first before we actually commit
(smile).

2.0.0-SNAPSHOT seems pretty stable to me in my limited testing so far. I
could publish a SNAPSHOT on a weekly basis going forward if that'd help.

> ​​> 2.3 HBASE-6721 RegionServer Group-based Assignment
>
> Same as above, although in this case I suspect interested users are on our
> own to debug/fix.
> ​

Agree. This would be true of all features in the Ancillary (non-core)
section I'd say (though as it happens, I'm interesting in the above in
particular).

I added a new section to the doc on "Decisions" we need to make for 2.0.0.
Primary is a conclusion to the long-running Re: [DISCUSS] No regions on
Master node in 2.0
<http://apache-hbase.679495.n3.nabble.com/DISCUSS-No-regions-on-Master-node-in-2-0-td4079067i20.html#a4084211>
 thread.

St.Ack