hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Resignation as RM for branch 0.98
Date Sat, 07 Jan 2017 00:51:51 GMT
HBasers,

Happy new year!

The 0.98 branch has had a great run at a fairly constant release cadence,
producing 24 releases in all.

I served as the branch RM for 98 for all of that time, and now I feel the
time has come to move on to work with more recent code. Therefore please
consider this my resignation as such (it's an informal position after all
(smile)) from the role of branch 98 RM.

It will be up to the PMC to decide what to do about 98 going forward. My
recommendation is to put out the message that 98 branch has been end of
lifed (EOL). There is no reason someone else couldn't don the RM hat and
put out an additional 98 release, for example, in order to deal with a
critical fix for something we just can't abide shipping as the last release
of anything. That person might even be me. However, without a dedicated
shepard the management of the 98 branch is pretty difficult these days. It
requires Java 6 to build, which requires a hack to its security classes to
communicate with modern SSL servers like repository.apache.org, and
mandates Hadoop 1 compatibility, which can lead to tricky problems found
only at release time. Backports are rarely clean. Assume 30 minutes to 2
hours work for each attempt at a backport, including time for tests to
complete. Maintaining and releasing 98 branch will be a time commitment.
FWIW. All that said if someone else would like to step up into the 98 RM
role, then we don't need to consider calling it EOL. However, as I've said,
that is my humble recommendation to the PMC.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)