hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Moving 2.0 forward
Date Sat, 14 Jan 2017 19:10:19 GMT
Thanks for putting that document together Stack, that was really helpful.

> 1.1 New Assignment Manager, AMv2

​Can we get a virtual show of hands who is working on this and plans to
finish it? It was Stephen and Matteo originally, right? Matteo seems
temporarily sidelined, is that correct?

> 1.3 Offheaping of Write Path
​> ​
1.4 HBASE-11425 Offheaping of Read Path
​> ​
1.6 HBASE-15265 AsyncWAL/HBase DFSClient
​Maybe we can organize some efforts to test small deploys of 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT
with these features​ enabled since they are code complete but need testing
and more doc, which can be generated from notes from testers on setup and
experience. I can stand up a few clusterdock-based virtual clusters on EC2
D2-class instances running integration tests, PE, and YCSB etc; surface
issues up into JIRA; and provide SSH access on demand. Let me see ... not
sure if 2.0.0-SNAPSHOT is stable enough to get that far. If so hopefully
the developers behind these features will be willing to jump on them and
lead debugging/fix if issues are found.

​​> 2.3 HBASE-6721 RegionServer Group-based Assignment

Same as above, although in this case I suspect interested users are on our
own to debug/fix.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:49 PM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com>

> [...]
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 12:16 PM, Stephen Jiang <syuanjiangdev@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> Hello, Andrew, I was a helper on Matteo so that we can help each other
>> while we are focusing on the new Assignment Manager work.  Now he is not
>> available (at least in the next few months).  I have to be more focused on
>> the new AM work; plus other work in my company; it would be too much for
>> me
>> to 2.0 RM alone.  I am happy someone would help to take primary 2.0 RM
>> role
>> while I am still help to make this 2.0 release smooth.
> (I could help out Stephen. We could co-RM?)
>> For branch-2, I think it is too early to cut it, as we still have a lot of
>> moving parts and on-going project that needs to be part of 2.0.  For
>> example, the mentioned new AM (and other projects, such as HBASE-14414,
>> HBASE-15179, HBASE-14070, HBASE-14850, HBASE-16833, HBASE-15531, just name
>> a few).  Cutting branch now would add burden to complete those projects.
> Agree with Stephen. A bunch of stuff is half-baked so a '2.0.0' now would
> be all loose ends and it'd make for a messy narrative.
> I started a doc listing state of 2.0.0: https://docs.google.
> com/document/d/1WCsVlnHjJeKUcl7wHwqb4z9iEu_ktczrlKHK8N4SZzs/edit?usp=
> sharing
> In the doc I made an estimate of what the community considers core 2.0.0
> items based in part off old lists and after survey of current state of
> JIRA. The doc is open for comment. Please chime in if I am off or if I am
> missing something that should be included. I also make a rough estimate on
> state of each core item.
> I intend to keep up this macro-view doc as we progress on 2.0.0 with
> reflection where pertinent in JIRA . Suggest we branch only when code
> compete on the core set most of which are complete or near-so.
> End-of-February should be time enough (First 2.0.0 RC in at the start of
> May?).
> Thanks,
> St.Ack
>> thanks
>> Stephen
>> On Sat, Dec 31, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Andrew Purtell <
>> andrew.purtell@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I've heard a rumor the co-RM situation with 2.0 may have changed. Can we
>> > get an update from co-RMs Matteo and Steven on their availability and
>> > interest in continuing in this role?
>> >
>> > To assist in moving 2.0 forward I intend to branch branch-2 from master
>> > next week. Unless there is an objection I will take this action under
>> > assumption of lazy consensus. Master branch will be renumbered to
>> > 3.0.0-SNAPSHOT. Once we have a branch-2 I will immediately begin scale
>> > tests and stabilization (via bug fixes or reverts of unfinished work)
>> and
>> > invite interested collaborators to do the same.

Best regards,

   - Andy

If you are given a choice, you believe you have acted freely. - Raymond
Teller (via Peter Watts)