hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: protobuf 2.5 and 3.1
Date Fri, 09 Dec 2016 20:58:39 GMT
On Fri, Dec 9, 2016 at 12:15 AM, 张铎 <palomino219@gmail.com> wrote:

> In master we use protobuf-maven-plugin to run protoc. The plugin will
> download protoc binary from the maven repo so you do not need to install
> protoc on your machine manually.
>
> So you can just install pb 2.5 on your machine.
>
> For the general question that how to have 2 protobuf versions on one
> machine, I think you need to build protoc from source and install it
> manually, and use symbol link to select the prefered version before you run
> mvn command.
>
> Thanks.

What Duo says above. You don't need to install 3.1 on your machine
because protobuf-maven-plugin
does all for you. If wanted, I could backport the protobuf-maven-plugin
conversion to branch-1 so you wouldn't need to install 2.5 either.

In the refguide, we have a new chapter on protobuf:
http://hbase.apache.org/book.html#_protobuf It intentionally makes no
mention of protoc nor do we make mention in the module READMEs. The thought
was that since this is all handled for you, then there is no need to bother
developer's pretty little heads w/ protobuf version details.

Let me know if I can do anything to make your experience more smooth
running Steven,
At your service,
St.Ack