hbase-dev mailing list archives

From "LeBlanc, Jacob" <jacob.lebl...@hpe.com>
Subject RE: [DISCUSS] EOL 1.1 Release Branch
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 16:55:22 GMT
Our team is preparing to upgrade our production cluster from 0.98 to 1.1.3. We chose 1.1.3
because that is the latest in bigtop.bom and we deploy using RPMs built with Bigtop. Just
mentioning, in case an update to Bigtop is a gating factor for EOL...

--Jacob LeBlanc

-----Original Message-----
From: Nick Dimiduk [mailto:ndimiduk@apache.org]
Sent: Friday, November 04, 2016 12:25 PM
To: hbase-user; hbase-dev
Subject: [DISCUSS] EOL 1.1 Release Branch

Hello HBase Community!

We have a small matter to discuss.

HBase 1.2 has been formally marked as "stable" for the last couple months.
HBase 1.3.0rc0 is just around the corner. I think it's time to start a conversation about
retiring the 1.1 line. The volunteer bandwidth for maintaining multiple branches is precious
and as we spread ourselves more thin, odds of decay increase.

I propose discontinuing 1.1 with a single release following 1.3.1. That'll give us one last
chance to back port any bug fixes discovered in the diligence we're putting into the new minor
release. Given the current pace of 1.3, I estimate this will happen in January or February
of 2017. It's not a lot of time for existing deployments to get around to upgrading, but the
upgrade path is trivial and 1.2 has been available for quite some time. This will probably
make our last release from this branch at 1.1.10 or there abouts.

Are there any objections or concerns with the above plan? Are there any downstream communities
who need our help moving onto 1.2? Please let us know.

Thanks,
Nick