hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Vimont <dan...@commonvox.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Providing guidance to would-be committers
Date Sun, 06 Nov 2016 02:07:02 GMT
Hi Sean,

Just a couple of thoughts on this (even though I don't know that I'll ever
be in a position to be anything more than a *contributor* to this project):

Those of us who are not committers may not be the best source of advice on
what needs to be explained regarding how to *become* a committer: we don't
know enough about the "committer" knowledge-domain to know what needs to be
explained.

A potentially more fruitful path might be to elicit advice from those who
have recently become committers: what aspects of the process of becoming a
committer were problematic or unclear to you?

The absolutely best advice would come "in real time" from someone who is
actively becoming a committer: they can give you a blow-by-blow account of
what is most in need of clarification.

The same goes for your eliciting advice regarding the documentation of the
path to PMC membership: talk to those who've recently made the journey, or
(better) set up a solid communication line with someone who is in the
process of seeking PMC membership.

HTH,

Dan

[image: --]