hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Merge Backup / Restore - Branch HBASE-7912
Date Wed, 23 Nov 2016 15:39:31 GMT
See the previous discussion on proposal for merging backup / restore
feature to master branch:

http://search-hadoop.com/m/HBase/YGbbR3IGB1edb1d2?subj=+DISCUSSION+Merge+Backup+Restore+Branch+HBASE+7912

Below is a rehash of the summary from that thread.

Vladimir, myself, Jerry and others have
been developing the backup / restore functionality in a series of issues
committed in the separate branch HBASE-7912[1].

Backup / Restore functionality is tracked as a 4-phase project, and the
first two phases are complete and useable. We are now working on Phase 3
items, which are mostly improvements. We think that the current code in the
branch containing all Phase 1 and Phase 2 items, and some Phase 3 items is
useable on it's own, and we do not have to wait for all the subtickets to
be finished to make it completely useable (as follow up tickets are mostly
improvements or optimizations). The improvements in the works are all
backwards compatible with the existing stuff. Thus, we would like to
propose that the branch HBASE-7912 be merged into master.  The parent jira
has a design doc that goes into details about the implementation and design
choices in case you are interested[2].

Most of the changes are largely non-intrusive and confined to the
backup subsystem.
The unit tests have been passing on manual runs and we (hortonworks) have
been running the integration tests as well as some other shell-based system
tests on a forked version of the code. Most of the work has been reviewed
by 1, 2 or 3 committers already (mostly myself, Enis and Jerry).

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-7912
[2]
https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/attachment/12816339/HBaseBackupAndRestore%20-0.91.pdf