hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Lars George <lars.geo...@gmail.com>
Subject Status of HBASE-4755?
Date Thu, 10 Nov 2016 07:19:25 GMT
Hi,

I am wondering where https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4755
is up to? Seeing this lasting many years now, why is it not closed? It
seems the balancer is in place.

What worries me is that the tool to recompute a missing region server
location after a failover is having a comment like this (see the TODO
below):

/**
 * A tool that is used for manipulating and viewing favored nodes information
 * for regions. Run with -h to get a list of the options
 */
@InterfaceAudience.Private
// TODO: Remove? Unused. Partially implemented only.
public class RegionPlacementMaintainer {

If everything is in place but the recomputation, which should be
automated as discussed in the JIRA years ago, what is the hold up? Why
do we have such a feature lingering away?

Or let me ask the other way around: who is actively using this
feature, and how are they doing it?

Cheers,
Lars