hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] EOL 1.1 Release Branch
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2016 16:52:24 GMT
I'm -1 on this idea, for now.

We have been evaluating 1.1 and 1.2 for upgrade and whereas 1.1 will
survive all testing including large scale ITBLL tests, 1.2 will not - no
1.2, from 1.2.0 on up. I've found one issue (fixed), and am now trying to
nail down another.

I would like to see two things:

1. Others in the community step up to evaluate the stability of 1.1.7
versus 1.2.3 (or .4) using ITBLL with at least 1B rows of data, and report
in. Is it just me?

2. We do not declare 1.1 EOL until 1.2 is unquestionable stable according
to the most practical rigor we can throw at it with our tooling. Especially
because I still plan to resign as 0.98 RM soon, which I think will trigger
an EOL of that code line.

I will be resigning as 0.98 RM effective January 1 2017 and at that time
the community can discuss what to do with 0.98. From my point of view, I'm
done with spending time on it. Happy to take some of the time freed up and
use it to carry 1.1 forward if we are still making releases off this code
line then.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy