hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Yu <yuzhih...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Use experience and performance data of offheap from Alibaba online cluster
Date Fri, 18 Nov 2016 11:29:22 GMT
Yu:
With positive results, more hbase users would be asking for the backport of offheap read path
patches.

Do you think you or your coworker has the bandwidth to publish backport for branch-1 ?

Thanks

> On Nov 18, 2016, at 12:11 AM, Yu Li <carp84@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Dear all,
>
> We have backported read path offheap (HBASE-11425) to our customized hbase-1.1.2 (thanks
@Anoop for the help/support) and run it online for more than a month, and would like to share
our experience, for what it's worth (smile).

> Generally speaking, we gained a better and more stable throughput/performance with offheap,
and below are some details:
> 1. QPS become more stable with offheap
>
> Performance w/o offheap:
>

> Performance w/ offheap:
>

> These data come from our online A/B test cluster (with 450 physical machines, and each
with 256G memory + 64 core) with real world workloads, it shows using offheap we could gain
a more stable throughput as well as better performance

> Not showing fully online data here because for online we published the version with both
offheap and NettyRpcServer together, so no standalone comparison data for offheap

> 2. Full GC frequency and cost
>
> Average Full GC STW time reduce from 11s to 7s with offheap.
>
> 3. Young GC frequency and cost
>
> No performance degradation observed with offheap.
>
> 4. Peak throughput of one single RS
>
> On Singles Day (11/11), peak throughput of one single RS reached 100K, among which 90K
from Get. Plus internet in/out data we could know the average result size of get request is
~1KB

> Offheap are used on all online machines (more than 1600 nodes) instead of LruCache, so
the above QPS is gained from offheap bucketcache, along with NettyRpcServer(HBASE-15756).