hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Coprocessor metrics
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2016 15:58:30 GMT
Yep -- see avatica-metrics[1], avatica-dropwizard-metrics3[2], and my
dropwizard-hadoop-metrics2[3] project for what Nick is referring to.

What I ended up doing in Calcite/Avatica was a step beyond your #3,
Enis. Instead of choosing a subset of some standard metrics library to
expose, I "re-built" the actual API that I wanted to expose. At the end
of the day, the API I "built" was nearly 100% what dropwizard metrics'
API was. I like the dropwizard-metrics API; however, we wanted to avoid
the strong coupling to a single metrics implementation.

My current feeling is that external API should never include
classes/interfaces which you don't "own". Re-building the API that
already exists is pedantic, but I think it's a really good way to pay
down the maintenance debt (whenever the next metrics library "hotness"
takes off).

If it's amenable to you, Enis, I'm happy to work with you to do whatever
decoupling of this metrics abstraction away from the "core" of Avatica
(e.g. presently, a new update of the library would also require a full
release of Avatica which is no-good for HBase). I think a lot of the
lifting I've done already would be reusable by you and help make a
better product at the end of the day.

- Josh

[1] https://github.com/apache/calcite/tree/master/avatica/metrics
[2]