hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Devaraj Das <d...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Status of HBASE-4755?
Date Fri, 11 Nov 2016 23:22:29 GMT
Lars, the work to complete this is happening over in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-15531.
Thiruvel and Francis are bringing to Apache what they have deployed in prod at Yahoo. I believe
RegionPlacementMaintainer is not being run in their prod. Correct me if I am wrong, Thiruvel/Francis.
Thanks,
Devaraj.
From: Lars George <lars.george@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2016 11:19 PM
To: dev@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Status of HBASE-4755?

Hi,

I am wondering where https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-4755
is up to? Seeing this lasting many years now, why is it not closed? It
seems the balancer is in place.

What worries me is that the tool to recompute a missing region server
location after a failover is having a comment like this (see the TODO
below):

/**
 * A tool that is used for manipulating and viewing favored nodes information
 * for regions. Run with -h to get a list of the options
 */
@InterfaceAudience.Private
// TODO: Remove? Unused. Partially implemented only.
public class RegionPlacementMaintainer {

If everything is in place but the recomputation, which should be
automated as discussed in the JIRA years ago, what is the hold up? Why
do we have such a feature lingering away?

Or let me ask the other way around: who is actively using this
feature, and how are they doing it?

Cheers,
Lars