hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stephen Jiang <syuanjiang...@gmail.com>
Subject HBASE 2.0
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 22:27:34 GMT
Hello, All,

It is time to discuss about the schedule of HBase 2.0 release.  HBase 2.0
release is a big major release.  When we release 1.0, we had 0.99 as dev
preview/beta release.  We should do something similar for the 2.0 release.

Matteo and I talked about this.   We think about that we need some
Alpha/Beta milestones before the RC and final Release-to-Web 2.0 release.

I don't know whether there is any discussion on this community about the
Alpha/Beta release criteria.  My proposal is that once we cut the branch-2,
we should only have new features that are absolutely needed for major
release (festures cannot be added in minor release) and those features
should be "almost ready".  For Alpha releases, we can still accept these
kind of features; for Beta release, only bug fixes and performance
improvement on existing features (should we also accept existing feature
improvement in Beta?  Maybe Beta 1, Not in Beta 2 - that is my take).

This is a big release and requires a lot of work from Release Manager.  I
asked Matteo whether I could help to be some kind of backup / hot-standby /
assistant RM.  I think he is very happy to have someone to share some RM
duties.  Thus, I will help make this 2.0 release as smooth as possible.

Here is a tentative plan:
- For now, we are thinking of creating branch-2 middle of this month and
have 2.0-Alpha1 release at the end of this month or begin of Nov.  The
definition of Alpha1 is that we could deploy to a cluster and it can do
some simple CRUD and table DDLs; and not crash (of course, UT passing).

- Then we will have 2.0-Alpha2 in 4-6 weeks after Apha1.  It would hold
higher bar.  We will run some IT tests to make sure that it would

- At that time, we will lock down and not allow any new features, every 4-6
weeks, we will have a Beta release (my realistic guess is that we would hit
the US Christmas holiday at that time, so first Beta would take longer than
6 weeks).  For Beta release, we would fix bugs and do performance tuning.
Planning to have 2 Betas.  (Question: in the past, do we need vote to have
a Beta release?)

- Once the code are in the stable stage, then we will have RCs and vote for
the final release.

Please let us know whether this is a reasonable approach that will make the
release successful.

Currently, we are aware of the following on-going new features for 2.0: new
Assignment Manager, backup/restore, off-heap, protobuff 3, Hybrid Logical
Clock, and maybe AsyncRegion / C++ client).  If you have a feature that
wants to be part of 2.0 release, please send discussion to dev community
and we can make a call on accepting/rejecting.


  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message