hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HBASE 2.0
Date Mon, 03 Oct 2016 23:42:53 GMT
Thanks Matteo and Stephen for stepping up. The plan makes sense to me.
Without saying "no" to incoming features and random improvements, it is
very hard to make a release happen. The way to say no, is to have an
explicit branch and start to selectively include patches.

Since we have done a couple of 0.95.x in preparation to 0.96, and 0.99.x in
preparation to 1.0, (and 0.89, etc) it is only natural to continue with
this approach for 2.0. We can use alpha or beta which are both fine.

We have done 3 of the 0.99 releases, and it has helped a lot. I, as a first
time RM at that time, was able to get the release machinery, scripts, jobs,
etc setup and ready in the couple of first releases so that each
incremental release was easier and easier. It also gives downstreamers and
others a compile/dependency target. Since we have semantic versioning now,
we should use the 2.0.0-alpha1 kind of naming, which also makes the
intention super clear to consumers.

For 0.95 / 0.99, we have carried out those releases as regular releases
with voting, etc. We also used jira to track the issues in the release the
same way a normal release would work. In that sense, we can create jira
versions for the upcoming releases and start to use those tags. Matteo or
Stephen can change the existing issues with tag 2.0.0 to be 2.0.0-alpha1
instead.

Enis