hbase-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: HBASE 2.0
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2016 06:10:57 GMT
All sounds excellent to me. Thanks Stephen and Matteo.

As per Enis, only odd part is this alpha/beta categorization. We've not
done that before. See the refguide where we talk up 'Development Series'
just under the 'Pre 1.0 versions' section here:

Would be sweet if we could get the logical tier inserted too before the
release of hbase-2.0.0 (I know Matteo probably ruled it out as too far out
to land in time but I'm the eternal optimist...)


On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Stephen Jiang <syuanjiangdev@gmail.com>

> Hello, All,
> It is time to discuss about the schedule of HBase 2.0 release.  HBase 2.0
> release is a big major release.  When we release 1.0, we had 0.99 as dev
> preview/beta release.  We should do something similar for the 2.0 release.
> Matteo and I talked about this.   We think about that we need some
> Alpha/Beta milestones before the RC and final Release-to-Web 2.0 release.
> I don't know whether there is any discussion on this community about the
> Alpha/Beta release criteria.  My proposal is that once we cut the branch-2,
> we should only have new features that are absolutely needed for major
> release (festures cannot be added in minor release) and those features
> should be "almost ready".  For Alpha releases, we can still accept these
> kind of features; for Beta release, only bug fixes and performance
> improvement on existing features (should we also accept existing feature
> improvement in Beta?  Maybe Beta 1, Not in Beta 2 - that is my take).
> This is a big release and requires a lot of work from Release Manager.  I
> asked Matteo whether I could help to be some kind of backup / hot-standby /
> assistant RM.  I think he is very happy to have someone to share some RM
> duties.  Thus, I will help make this 2.0 release as smooth as possible.
> Here is a tentative plan:
> - For now, we are thinking of creating branch-2 middle of this month and
> have 2.0-Alpha1 release at the end of this month or begin of Nov.  The
> definition of Alpha1 is that we could deploy to a cluster and it can do
> some simple CRUD and table DDLs; and not crash (of course, UT passing).
> - Then we will have 2.0-Alpha2 in 4-6 weeks after Apha1.  It would hold
> higher bar.  We will run some IT tests to make sure that it would
> functional.
> - At that time, we will lock down and not allow any new features, every 4-6
> weeks, we will have a Beta release (my realistic guess is that we would hit
> the US Christmas holiday at that time, so first Beta would take longer than
> 6 weeks).  For Beta release, we would fix bugs and do performance tuning.
> Planning to have 2 Betas.  (Question: in the past, do we need vote to have
> a Beta release?)
> - Once the code are in the stable stage, then we will have RCs and vote for
> the final release.
> Please let us know whether this is a reasonable approach that will make the
> release successful.
> Currently, we are aware of the following on-going new features for 2.0: new
> Assignment Manager, backup/restore, off-heap, protobuff 3, Hybrid Logical
> Clock, and maybe AsyncRegion / C++ client).  If you have a feature that
> wants to be part of 2.0 release, please send discussion to dev community
> and we can make a call on accepting/rejecting.
> Thanks
> Stephen

  • Unnamed multipart/alternative (inline, None, 0 bytes)
View raw message