hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Josh Elser <els...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] FileSystem Quotas in HBase
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2016 16:00:47 GMT
Hi folks,

I'd like to propose the introduction of FileSystem quotas to HBase.

Here's a design doc[1] available which (hopefully) covers all of the
salient points of what I think an initial version of such a feature
would include.

tl;dr We can define quotas on tables and namespaces. Region size is
computed by RegionServers and sent to the Master. The Master inspects
the sizes of Regions, rolling up to table and namespace sizes. Defined
quotas in the quota table are evaluated given the computed sizes, and,
for those tables/namespaces violating the quota, RegionServers are
informed to take some action to limit any further filesystem growth by
that table/namespace.

I'd encourage you to give the document a read -- I tried to cover as
much as I could without getting unnecessarily bogged down in
implementation details.

Feedback is, of course, welcomed. I'd like to start sketching out a
breakdown of the work (all writing and no programming makes Josh a sad
boy). I'm happy to field any/all questions. Thanks in advance.

- Josh

[1] http://home.apache.org/~elserj/hbase/FileSystemQuotasforApacheHBase.pdf