hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:16:24 GMT
On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 10:00 AM, Gary Helmling <ghelmling@gmail.com> wrote:

>> To fix erroneous commit messages, please revert the offending commits
>> and then reapply them with a correct commit message.
>>

> Honestly, I don't see the point of this.  In this case the original commit
> is still there, so nothing is really fixed.  Instead we wind up with 3
> commits muddying up the change history for the affected files.
>
> I would much rather preserve a clean change history at the cost of a few
> bad commit messages.  I don't think it's really that big a deal.

We rely on the commit messages in git for both authorship and as a
sanity check against the information in JIRA. It may not seem like a
big deal in the small when one of these is missing, but it adds up to
making more work for folks who are trying to do necessary and already
unpopular tasks.

The authorship information is mostly a nice-to-have for checking on
activity levels in the project. As a PMC member that information is
important to me. I can get it from JIRA as well, but that's more work.

The JIRA key in the commit message is a key part of how we do sanity
checks on the information in JIRA come release time. Please make sure
you correct erroneous commits that miss it or use the wrong JIRA key.
Otherwise you put a bunch more work on folks doing RM duty (or atleast
me when I do RM duty), because we have to do a lot more to track down
what's going on when JIRA says an issue is fixed but git doesn't agree
(or vice versa).

--
busbey