hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 17:00:08 GMT

> Please never force push to any non-feature branch. I thought we had
> protections to stop force pushes on master and
> have filed INFRA-12602 to get them in place.

Yeah, I shouldn't have done it.  But I think the protection against force
pushes only applies to the "rel/*" namespace.

> To fix erroneous commit messages, please revert the offending commits
> and then reapply them with a correct commit message.

Honestly, I don't see the point of this.  In this case the original commit
is still there, so nothing is really fixed.  Instead we wind up with 3
commits muddying up the change history for the affected files.

I would much rather preserve a clean change history at the cost of a few
bad commit messages.  I don't think it's really that big a deal.